ALL OF THE INFORMATION WE HAVE IS ON THIS PAGE, DO NOT CALL OR EMAIL US ABOUT THE MASK FRAMES; WE DO NOT HAVE THE BANDWIDTH TO PROVIDE ADDITIONAL SUPPORT! Available for the USA Only. See the links!
NOT for resale. Due to extreme demand, please allow up to 3 business days for orders to be processed and shipped as these are made to order! Over 40,000 frames shipped. Prices reduced another 15% (4/21) due to high volume of production!
Garden Tower® Project has fired up brand new injection molds to help supply Face Mask Frames to communities in need. These frames can be used to hold filter material to your face to easily create a face mask in minutes. Optionally, the frames can be used over existing hand sewn masks to provide for better closure around the nose and chin.
This design has been officially recommended for large scale production for COMMUNITY USE by the National Institutes of Health 3D PrintExchange, a resource from NIH’s National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. This design is one of five that has earned this community use recommendation in the COVID-19 Response model collection. The original 3D printed variants of these frames are being used for creating improvised face masks around the globe.
We can manufacture a large, but limited number of these per day and will NOT be taking backorders. You can ONLY order through our website (DO NOT call or email us about getting more); see our limited bulk pack options (click here). As we restock, they will become available again and this page will be updated daily. Community organizations, institutions, and businesses may contact us for bulk purchasing or see our case pack quantity options.
- 2 Large Mask Frames (Average Male Adults)
- 2 Medium Mask Frames (Average Female Adults)
- 2 Small Mask Frames (Children ~8 years+)
- 12 Feet of polyester woven flat elastic banding (all new orders are currently shipping with elastic; if supplies become unavailable we will substitute ~36 3.5"x1/16" rubber bands)
- NO FILTER MEDIA IS INCLUDED: The frame is designed to work with easily acquired materials. This is a DIY (do it yourself) KIT, see material resources below
- Mask Frames are sealed in plastic at the point of manufacturing in Indiana. They are made of non-toxic polyethylene with food-safe Garden Tower® HDPE colorant.
(Garden Tower® Project Injection molded version in three sizes)
Each 6-Pack comes with 12 feet of soft poly elastic banding (while it can still be sourced)
- Wash your hands!
- Acquire a filter material for an improvised face mask (high end furnace filter, tight cotton cloth, existing mask with worn out straps, scroll down for more info!)
- Use scissors to trim mask frames of any sharp edges (if any) remaining from molding/manufacturing processes.
- Test fit the three sizes of frames to your face. Most adult men will use the large size and most adult women will use the medium; the small generally fits children 8 years of age or older.
- Use scissors to cut straps from the included elastic banding (two per mask). Running the elastic around your head is much more comfortable than going around your ears. We suggest 13 inches for the top strap, and 11 inches for the bottom. Tie and adjust simple overhand knots at the corners of the mask to customize fit. [During elastic resupply/backorder periods, we will substitute 3.5"x1/8" rubber bands. You can use two of these per frame to go around the ears; or for less fatigue (but more hair pulling!) you can daisy chain 3 together to go around the back of your head).]
- Use the mask frame as a template to size your filter media. Draw a pattern around the frame about 2 inches beyond the frame on the filter material and use scissors to shape the filter media. Leave some extra margin, you can always trim it later! How you form the filter will depend on the media (material) you have.
- Some people use hot glue or masking tape to help secure the filter media to the frame. This is completely optional.
- Make a constant effort to disinfect your hands (or wash with soap) before TOUCHING your mask frame, filter, or face. The better you train yourself to not touch your face/mouth/eyes and disinfect your hands frequently, the more effective using a mask can be.
- Form the filter: Gently push/pull the filter media away from your mouth to create a fold at the center which keeps the media away from your lips and increases surface area of breathing/filtering.
- Optionally, a source of heat (ideally a hot flat surface) can be used to help shape the frame to your individual face for improved fit and function. However, our polyethylene production versions of the frames are flexible enough to conform well in most cases without custom shaping. See how the designer and engineer does it here with a more rigid 3D printed frame model: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVRS_5bWIiw
iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OVpRneFTqiY?autoplay=0&fs=1&iv_load_policy=3&showinfo=1&rel=0&cc_load_policy=0&start=0&end=0&origin=https://youtubeembedcode.com" width="788.54" height="443" frameborder="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no">
Garden Tower® Project founder, Colin Cudmore, gives a quick demonstration of how to use these molded frames to attach an improvised filter material to your face! The Frame and banding shown here is exactly what we are shipping daily.
Garden Tower® Project Co-founder, Joel Grant, shows how to use rubber bands with the Face Mask Frames when elastic banding is unavailable.
Outside Recommendations/Ideas. (We make no claims as to the effectiveness of materials as filters, below are resources to explore; use your best judgement and see the disclaimer at the bottom of this page.)
- "The best masks were constructed of two layers of heavyweight "quilters cotton" with a thread count of at least 180, and had thicker and tighter weave." https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/making-your-own-face-mask-some-fabrics-work-better-others-n1175966
- Lesser quality fabrics also worked well, as long as they had an internal layer of flannel." "You do want to use a woven fabric, like batik," Segal said, "but you don't want to use a knit fabric, because the holes between the knit stitches are bigger." In other words, if the fabric allows for a substantial amount of light to shine through, it's probably going to allow tiny viral particles through, as well." (NBC News Article April 3rd, 2020)
- Official CDC Cloth Face Coverings updated guidelines: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/diy-cloth-face-coverings.html
- One, two, or more layers of dense cotton or poly-cotton cloth (where the cotton cloth weave is tight/dense and thick enough that you cannot see through it) is highly ranked by some tests and widely used in medical clinics when certified materials are unavailable (see links below).
- A layer of blue shop towel used between cloth layers may improve effectiveness https://nypost.com/2020/04/04/shop-towels-filter-better-than-t-shirts-for-diy-coronavirus-masks/ and https://www.businessinsider.com/homemade-mask-using-hydro-knit-shop-towel-filters-better-2020-4
- If you are considering using Furnace Filters as filtration media, be aware that there could be risks involved:
- "And Wang warned that while a furnace filter may be more efficient than a bandanna or pillowcase fabric at blocking aerosols, there may be risks.... Furnace filters are made of different materials, including cotton, fiberglass or polyester, he pointed out. A protective step would be to wrap furnace filter material with another type of material, such as a fabric." (https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2020-04-07/what-material-is-best-for-your-diy-face-mask-the-answer-may-surprise-you)
- Using a tightly woven, dense cotton fabric and/or blue shop towel against your face may help mitigate risks of inhaling any furnace filter fibers.
- Furnace filters of MERV 12 or higher are being used; however MERV 13 and higher are designed to filter >89% of "airborne droplet nuclei" (sneeze droplets). "MERV 13-16 and HEPA filters are all predicted to provide risk reductions of approximately 64-67%." (http://built-envi.com/portfolio/filtration-of-infectious-aerosols/) One furnace filter can provide filter media for a dozen or more masks! The electrostatic properties of most high end furnace filters increase their ability to capture very small particles efficiently. MERV 15-16 seem to be the most recommended but are difficult to find.
- DIY Impregnating a natural fiber (such as cotton cloth) with table salt solution to produce anti-viral properties is also gaining traction (we have not tried this).
- The above link recommends tight cotton cloth, HEPA filter material, or high grade furnace filters that filter out bacteria.
- HEPA filters and vacuum bags could also contain friable fibers, so the same precautionary measure of using a tightly woven, dense cotton fabric and/or blue shop towel against your face may help mitigate risks of inhaling any filter fibers.
- These mask frames for constructing DIY improvised face masks were adapted from 3D printing designs by Mark Fuller, you can access the CAD files and his other works here: https://www.thingiverse.com/2ROBOTGUY/designs
- This device is a general purpose face mask intended for use in the community and is not suitable for use by a healthcare professional or in a healthcare facility or environment, as described in FDA Guidance Enforcement Policy for Face Masks and Respirators During the Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Public Health Emergency, Section V B.
- There are many new resources becoming available to help better protect yourself, your family, your medical providers, and to flatten the Coronavirus / Covid-19 infection curve! Please explore google!
- If you are an institution and have an inquiry about our mask frame production, you can write us at firstname.lastname@example.org
PLEASE HELP SHARE THIS ON SOCIAL MEDIA
DISCLAIMER: THE MASK INFORMATION AND/OR PHYSICAL COMPONENTRY IS PROVIDED “AS-IS, WHERE-IS,” WITHOUT REPRESENTATIONS, CONDITIONS OR WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR THAT THE USE OF THE MASK INFORMATION AND / COMPONENTRY WILL NOT INFRINGE ANY PATENT, COPYRIGHT, TRADEMARK OR OTHER PROPRIETARY RIGHTS. THE RECIPIENT IS SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR DETERMINING THE APPROPRIATENESS OF USING, REPLICATING OR REDISTRIBUTING THE MASK INFORMATION AND / OR COMPONENTRY AND DESIGN. IN THIS REGARD, THE RECIPIENT ASSUMES ALL LIABILITY FOR DAMAGES, OF WHATEVER NATURE AND DESCRIPTION, WHETHER IN CONTRACT OR IN TORT, WHICH MAY ARISE FROM THE USE OF THE MASK INFORMATION AND / OR COMPONENTRY AND DESIGN. GARDEN TOWER® PROJECT LLC., INCLUDING ITS EMPLOYEES AND AGENTS, WILL NOT BE LIABLE TO THE RECIPIENT OR TO ANY THIRD PARTY FOR ANY LOSS, CLAIM OR DEMAND MADE BY THE RECIPIENT, OR ANY LOSS, CLAIM, DEMAND OR JUDGMENT AGAINST THE RECIPIENT BY ANY OTHER PARTY, DUE TO OR ARISING FROM THE USE OF THE MASK INFORMATION, AND / OR COMPONENTRY AND DESIGN BY THE RECIPIENT.
Where do we deliver to?
- We offer services to all states and provinces of the USA, Canada and select regions of Europe
- Be aware that we can not collect duties/tarrifs/taxes for our international customers (any/all taxes/duties/fees which apply are the responsibility of the purchaser/importer).
- We’re now shipping to select European countries by airmail via the USPS Priority International and Express International services. Though these services are reasonably fast in terms of transport, customs delays will vary by nation and are outside of our control. Delays at port of entry (customs) are not unusual.
- We do have distributors in Australia, Canada, Germany, UK
How do we ship?
- Garden Towers are very large and are classified as oversize by UPS, FEDEX, and the USPS (80lb or 90lbs rates apply)
- Standard shipping takes 3-6 business days to the lower 48 states
- Canada shipments reach customs is 2-4 days and typically take one week for passage and transport in Canada depending on the destination
- Most orders ship within 2 business days
How much will shipping cost?
- Add a product to your shopping cart, view your shopping cart or begin checkout to calculate shipping costs. Shipping cost “estimates” are actual charges and will not be adjusted after your order is processed.
- Expedited 1-2 day shipping is available at a premium